Thursday, March 16, 2006

Hooooraaaaaaay

Yep, my Internet is up and running again! It doesn't seem as fast as it was before it was disconnected, but I'm not going to complain! So because I have missed out on posting for a month or so, I will fill you in step-by-step every couple of days... I don't want to give you a mass to read all at once!

This entry's topic: I have a friend!

One of my co-workers introduced me to his ex co-worker a few weeks ago. Her name is Chikako and I see her a couple of times every week. She stayed in Australia for a month last year (she even has a photo of herself and some students at Heidelberg Primary!), and is trying to learn as much English as possible. We have done many things together. I have visited her house (which has heated floorboards) and she has cooked dinner for me. We also went for a day trip to Ishikawa to try out an onsen and have a massive lunch. Here is a picture of what I dared to try:
Yep! I ate raw shrimp (which still had its bright blue eggs inside, ew), crab brain (I didn't know they had brains), raw shellfish and fugu! Fugu is the blowfish (you know, the one that Homer ate and was going to die because of it...) As many of you know I am a seafood "disliker", so I had to get some "real" food into me. This is "shabu shabu". It's basically thinly sliced beef that you boil at your table and dip into a delicious sauce.
I have been lucky enough to experience Japanese culture with Chikako. Every week, we go to an ikebana (flower arrangement) and tea ceremony class. I never thought that the act of making tea was so difficult! Here is a picture of my first ikebana:
I enjoy ikebana, it really makes you appreciate each flower. Normally I would just plonk some flowers into a vase, but ikebana makes you consider the angles of each flower and how they should be arranged to be aesthetically pleasing.
So it's good to be back in the "real world". It's funny that I consider the Internet to be the real world... Please leave a comment!

Lotsaluv,

Suzi

7 Comments:

At 7:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray!

We just moved house and finally have high speed net installed.

How exciting!

 
At 2:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray!

Great to see you are up and running again. I don't beleive that you ate that seafood! Love the flowers.

Your Loving Mother Maree

 
At 5:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back online!

Nice flowers!!

Make sure you keep paying your bills now, will you?!

Lol

 
At 8:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne, Had heard you were off line but have been so busy haven't even looked for a while. I will catch up with all your entries but for now - agree with your Mum - thumbs down to 'raw shrimp' thumbs up to 'Ikebana'
A big Happy Birthday to you - will have to catch up on hugs & pressies when you get home as forever the slack one I didn't get anything in the mail.
Love from Linda, Gary, Brad & Daisy
PS. Lisa returning home from Japan on Saturday

 
At 9:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Suzanne!

Lots of Love

Mum

 
At 9:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne, belated wishes for a very happy birthday from Ron, Lyn, Simone and Monique, we have been very busy in Geelong the past couple of days. The Braids have sent you a parcel but it won't arrive for a while yet, did you get the pressie from us (R & L)?Sounds like you are really enjoying Japan at the moment, good for you, love Lyn & Ron.

 
At 10:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday from Jan and Emmy in alkmaar!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home