Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I'm a good Aussie!

This week our school has a Japanese teacher from New Zealand, Elin, visiting us. This is her sixth time of being in the land of the rising sun! Tomorrow I am taking a class together with her. To make it a little special for the students, we decided to make an Australian/New Zealand delicacy... Lamingtons We had planned to make them together tomorrow morning, but I read the recipe and you need to give them a rest in the fridge overnight to set. Seeing that the weather is all hot and humid, I thought it best to make them tonight. I hope Elin isn't too upset! I have some left over ingredients, so maybe we can make some for her homestay family instead. It is really expensive to make them.... you can only get 40g packs of desicated coconut, which is not really nice... but I think they will taste OK!

As for other news, I finally had a weekend with no responsibilities! On Friday night I went out with some other ALTs in the area for some drinks and food at an izakaya (Japanese style pub). I wore Australian flags in my hair, but I don't think I was as wacky as the birthday girl, Sarah (can you pick her?)

On Saturday night Megan and I went to Nagoya to the Outback Steakhouse. The atmosphere was great, although we got sick of people singing "Happy Birthday" every half hour.... (On that topic, it's Megan's 30th on Sunday -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY! -- she's climbing Mt. Fuji for the special day) I had a yummy chicken ceasar salad and half of a cookie cream dessert thing (way too rich for even me to eat the whole thing!)

I had a couple of very un-Australian drinks.....

Pina Colada and a Budweiser....Last Friday I went with the third year students on a class trip to Kyoto. It was fun, although a very short visit. I mostly bought souvenirs. I think I'm going back again this Saturday with the water polo team (no, I am not playing). The only photo I took was in the rest area for busloads of tourists... It's a sign above the lovely squatter loo.... Sorry about the focus... it says "THIS REST ROOM IS FULL AUTOMATICALLY" Who knows what that means...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home