Saturday, October 08, 2005

Welcome to my place!!!!

Hello World!

I first want to grant a HUGE apology to those who have been wondering
what has happened to me in Japan! I can't believe it, I have been here for 11 weeks now, and I have been very good at procrastinating this website. So I think the best thing to do would to be to start off with the basics. I don't want to bombard you with a whole load of words and bore you to death. So for my first post, let me introduce you to my apartment. I live 15 minutes walk from the station, a 10 minute bike ride to school, and right next door to a shopping centre with a 24 hour supermarket (very very rare!). The rent is only 5000 yen a month (about $55), so I think I have a pretty sweet deal! Anyway, come see my apartment!


This is the view of my apartment from my entrance. The door on the left leads to my bedroom, towards the right is my living room. The kitchen and a spare room is on the right and the toilet/bath/laundry is on the left.

I really like it when it's clean, but someone keeps leaving things laying around. It's such a pain to pick up after them! I understand where you're coming from Dad, I am such a pain in the arse!

This is my bedroom. I've got authentic Japanese windows! How cool is that? I've actually poked a few holes in the paper, so I moved my bed away from the wall. I reckon my bed is the tallest bed in Japan. I started off with a futon about 5cm thick, which was a nightmare. I then upgraded to a sofa bed, and just recently I have bought an air matress and put it on top. I feel like "The Princess and the Pea"!!!!


So here is the place where I spend alot of time (burning stuff! hehe). Yes! It's the kitchen. I have a gas stove and a fridge, both of which I got for free. The white box on the wall is what gives me hot water in the sink, as I don't have running hot water! So the box leaks hot water very very slowly, and my sink never fills up (I've also got a problem trying to find the right sized plug....) I HATE doing the dishes. I truly appreciate having a dishwasher, and next time I am asked to unpack the dishwasher, I would do so straight away!!!!! (like that Dad? haha)

This is the living room. Don't be misled by the TV... I don't have it connected to any networks or anything. It's good for watching DVDs on though! The thing hanging on the wall is made up of photos of everyone back in Oz. I don't want to forget what you look like! Plus, the wall seemed slashed so I had to cover it up somehow....


So this is my lovely toilet. I can buy a converter to make it "normal", but I can't be bothered buying one frankly and it's not so bad! The picture on the right is the sink thing on top of the toilet. When you flush the toilet, the tap runs at the same time (apparently to save energy or something)

Here is my bath. I have no shower (no running hot water!). It takes about 30 minutes to heat the bath of cold water in the winter. Talk about a ritual! Also, it's really cramped.


How on earth could you think that I am totally neat?!?! This is my spare room. I have no idea what to do with it. It doesn't even have a light (there were no lights when I moved in). So when I don't know what to do with something, it goes in here! The rubbish system here is way confusing, so I get nervous when I have things delivered in cardboard boxes. I don't know what to do with the boxes!

So there you go, that was my apartment. It's pretty bland, but it keeps me dry and it's extremely cheap. I have also learned that I actually don't have a magical fairy that cleans things up after me! Tomorrow I am off to a festival in Ogaki City, so the next post will be about my new hometown in the centre of Japan.
Feel free to write a comment, or ask me stuff! As I mentioned in one of my emails, one of the biggest things that counts towards my survival in Japan is hearing from the real world! Let me know how Australia (or wherever you are) is going!

14 Comments:

At 8:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Suzanne!

Wow, who would have thought that with all Japan's technical wizadry and gadgets and so on that parts of the country would be without running hot water!?

Anyway, cool blog. Keep it going!

Jonathan.

 
At 8:42 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi SuziQ,

Not bad at all for $55 per month!!

Seems you pretty well have everything you need, except for a cleaning lady.

btw, what does blog stand for?

Lol.

Pop

 
At 11:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look everyone. My little girl is all grown up. I am so proud of her. She is even clever enough to make a BLOG. So smart and so good looking I can't believe I am her Mum.

 
At 3:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, 11 weeks already! It's so good to see your blog up and running, I've saved in my Favourites folder after www.mining-for-midgets.com

Keep em rolling,

Love Jo.

 
At 7:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pookie

Your apartment looks cool man! And so cheap. You seem very well placed near all that stuff, like the school and shops. Are you still liking the teaching? Has your japanese improved?

Cathy :)

 
At 10:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Suz,

great to hear from you...pookie..selen and I miss you very much and talk about catching up with you soon. Love the apt. Very cool to have a space of your own. Do you need a cook and house cleaner? I charge very competitive rates...I also do dishes.
Glad to here you have a bike!
love
Gordy

 
At 9:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helloo up there!

Thanks for the grand tour, it was fun.
You know you have to clean up that room before March... i refuse to sleep on cardboard!
I’m shocked, have you really become accustomed to squatting over the toilet??? I guess it’s like multi-tasking, like doing yoga and, hmm...

Keep the blogging up,
Selmo

 
At 1:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lesley wants to know. "Who the hell is the bloke on the couch?" I told not to worry or get excited because he (Ed) is not a love interest. Just thought I would post this so that you and I won't have to explain the situation to other intersted parties.

 
At 1:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello sweetheart!!

Cat here, I love it! You appartment looks so cute!! Missing you heaps. Got photos developed of your going away party and have some nice ones I want to scan and send 2 u. Me and computers though...it might take a while!
Can't wait for more updates...P.S What's a Blogger?

xo cat ox

 
At 7:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suz the Pooz,

I would like to see some update photos because I reckon you couldn't keep up with the house work.

Nice to see your latest pickies.

Love from Steve, Liz , Leticia and Winnie

 
At 11:00 pm, Blogger Suzi said...

Hey guys!

So to answer the questions...

- A blog is short for "web log", you know, like a log you keep on the web...
- Mum, can you please clarify whether you are sarcastic in your first comment about me being grown up?
- Jo, wtf is mining-for-midgets? You diggin' for gold or something?
- I like the teaching, not that I do much of it. I'm more or less a human tape recorder, which is really easy.
- My Japanese is getting alot better (or perhaps my confidence is growing?)
- Gordy, you can cook for me anytime, and clean too! Let me know the rates (btw, do you have a big enough plug? i can't find one here)
- I don't squat on the toilet. I just sit on it. It's like a toilet for midgets... maybe Jo would like it....
- You know me too well Steve and Liz....

 
At 4:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. I do have a bit of a sarcastic streak which I have managed to pass on to you but I am honestly (cross my heart and hope to die) proud of you Suzanne.
LOL
Muff

 
At 9:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Suzy Q!

Gotta love the unit - hell I wish I could get away with paying that sort of money - I meant to set pictures up for you so you could see my new place - not that its as funky as yours is!!!!

Quoting your mum:- "So smart and so good looking" - Isn't it so true that Mothers are ALWAYS right???? ;)

Take care miss :D
-Adam S.

 
At 7:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne, great blog, love reading all of your news. I'm waiting for Ed's comment about the housework or is he just waiting?.............

 

Post a Comment

<< Home